Job Title: Financial Controller
We’re looking for someone special to join the fantastic Fourayes finance unit. It could be you. Take a look at the requirements then contact Lorraine Cane at L.Cane@fourayes.com with your CV, or call Lorraine on 01622 884 230 if you’d like to be part of a great team.
Managing Director & Chief Finance Officer (CFO) (Ext)
Finance & Human Resources (HR)
1. Salary: Competitive Salary
2. Working Hours: Monday to Friday
3. Company perspective and background
Fourayes Farm Ltd is the UK’s number one fruit grower and processor, supplying superb products for Bakery, desserts, smoothies and the Dairy industry amongst others.
Set in 100 acres of glorious Bramley apple orchards in Kent (the ‘Garden of England’) Fourayes is a third-generation family owned and operated business. Family values are important to us, despite our size and scale, and can be seen throughout the operation.
We work with the largest retail multiples in the world and have a turnover in excess of £15 million with historically strong operating profits.
We are also an industry innovator. We invest in the best people and equipment to deliver the best results for our customers. We also develop ground-breaking new products such as Utterly Fruity (taking fresh apple into applications previously unattainable) and our delicious Plumptious mincemeat (the plumpest, juiciest mincemeat ever).
Fourayes will continue to actively focus on innovation, supporting profitable growth and the consolidation of existing operations. In order to facilitate this, we require a talented and experienced Financial Controller to support the company through the changes necessary to achieve our objectives. This is a new post and has potential to develop into a higher level role in the business as we achieve our aims.
The role of Financial Controller is pivotal to the company’s goals and will be line-managed by the managing director, with a formal link to the external chief financial officer. Operational efficiencies, clear communications, line management skills and the ability to embrace responsibility are key to this role.
4. Job purpose
The Financial Controller will be:
- Responsible for the provision of Budgetary information, financial information, guidance, and appropriate analysis to the senior management team.
- To ensure budgets are adhered to or improved, including labour budgets, purchasing budgets
- Required to contribute to the attainment of the company’s business objectives by ensuring all financial commitments are planned effectively and met with liquidity targets met daily.
- Responsible for the functionality of HR & staffing frameworks including GDPR.
- Responsible for the day to day operations of the Finance & HR teams.
- Responsible for the review and assessment of the resource requirements in both teams and their work culture.
- Responsible for the line management of 4 managers, including a team of a total number of staff of 7.
- Developing all necessary policies and procedures to ensure the sound financial management and control of the company’s business.
- Ensure full compliance for the preparation of the financial statements and related audit and regulatory requirements for both functions.
- Proactively manage the role, supported by the CFO & Managing Director and be actively responsible in identifying financial risk within the company.
5. Main duties and responsibilities
FINANCE & HR
- Direct and control finance staff to ensure that they are appropriately managed and motivated to ensure they carry out their responsibilities to the required standards and above.
- Provide financial advice and guidance to the company’s managers and staff to enable them to achieve their objectives in a structured reviewable format.
- Work with the senior management team to create a development program for the skill base within the Finance & HR functions to provide effective succession planning.
- Work with the managing director and CFO to provide an effective, fully compliant companywide transparent human resources framework, including staff development and GDPR compliance.
- Prepare and control the company’s annual operating budget to ensure that all financial targets are met as a minimum, and financial and statutory regulations complied with.
- To ensure effective manufacturing accounting budgets are accurate, managed and corrected flexed according to business need.
- To manage the daily cash flow position as a minimum within prescribed budget, implemented advance action to ensure stable liquidity at all times.
- Be responsible for maintaining the integrity structure of the finance system management and setup including chart of accounts, control accounts and balance sheet ledgers.
- Investigate and reconcile all accounts as part of the audit process
- To review and advise on the reconciliation of the, Corporation Tax, VAT control account and the quarterly VAT Return to HMRC.
- To deliver the full payroll, staff structure requirements including regular benchmarks and analysis of establishment changes to senior management monthly.
- Oversee the preparation of the company’s financial accounts to ensure that these are presented accurately and on time. Meet with all budget holders monthly to review all income and expenditure including salaries, margins and cost lines.
- Proactively manage the strategic financial relationships including the main banking arrangements, auditors, key accounts and HR contacts.
- Work with the Managing director & CFO on key projects as directed.
- Develop and implement an internal audit programme (Across Business) to ensure that the company complies with financial procedures and regulations.
- Monitor external contracts and services provided by suppliers to ensure that these are operating effectively and provide the best value to the company.
- Carry out all necessary actions to ensure that the company meets its financial and legal obligations.
- To undertake any other reasonable duties as requested by the senior management of the company.
HEALTH AND SAFETY / OTHER DUTIES
- Take reasonable care of your own health and safety and that of others who may be affected by your work activity
- Notify management of any shortcomings in health and safety arrangements
- Familiarise yourself with and conform to the Company stringent health and safety arrangements
- Observe all safety rules at all times
- To attend company staff team meetings and contribute to the on-going success of the Finance department
- To attend staff development programmes to update knowledge and skills and such courses as are deemed appropriate by the company
- To promote and safeguard the values of inclusivity, wellbeing and statutory workplace safe environmental culture.
6. Knowledge & Skills
- Ability to lead and develop teams, with prior experience (Essential)
- Manufacturing Background (Desirable)
- Strategic thinking skills
- Ability to prioritise
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Self-driven and highly motivated
- Proactive and strive to improve processes
- Significant senior level accountancy experience
- Payroll knowledge and experience in Earnie software (Essential)
- Knowledge of working with Exchequer and Factor Master (MRP) (Desirable)
7. Education and qualifications
- Qualified Accountant – ACCA or ACA
- Understanding of manufacture accounting
- Experience of Budgeting and forecasting
- Up to date knowledge of FRS102, government CV-19 financial support and latest UK financial guidance.